For weeks, frustrated and suffering residents in the nation's westernmost region have been displaying flags of surrender over the official delayed reaction to a wave of fatal deluges.
Precipitated by a unusual weather system in last November, the deluge killed over 1,000 persons and made homeless a vast number across the island of Sumatra. In Aceh province, the most severely affected region which accounted for almost half of the casualties, many continue to are without easy access to potable water, supplies, electricity and medicine.
In a sign of just how difficult managing the disaster has become, the leader of a region in Aceh broke down publicly earlier this month.
"Does the central government be unaware of [our plight]? It baffles me," a tearful Ismail A Jalil said publicly.
Yet Leader the President has declined foreign assistance, maintaining the situation is "under control." "Our country is equipped of handling this crisis," he told his cabinet in a recent meeting. He has also so far ignored calls to classify it a national emergency, which would unlock special funds and facilitate aid distribution.
The current government has grown more scrutinised as slow to act, disorganised and detached – descriptions that some analysts say have come to define his time in office, which he secured in February 2024 riding a wave of people-focused commitments.
Already recently, his flagship billion-dollar school nutrition programme has been mired in controversy over widespread food poisonings. In August and September, thousands of citizens took to the streets over joblessness and increasing living expenses, in what were some of the most significant protests the country has experienced in many years.
Presently, his administration's reaction to the floods has become a further problem for the president, although his approval ratings have remained stable at about 78%.
On a recent Thursday, dozens of demonstrators rallied in Banda Aceh, the city, holding pale banners and demanding that the national authorities allows the way to foreign aid.
Among among the gathering was a young child holding a piece of paper, which stated: "I'm only three years old, I wish to mature in a safe and sustainable environment."
Though typically viewed as a symbol for surrender, the white flags that have been raised all over the region – upon collapsed rooftops, beside washed-away banks and outside mosques – are a call for global unity, demonstrators contend.
"The flags are not a sign of we are giving in. They represent a distress signal to grab the notice of friends abroad, to let them know the situation in Aceh now are very bad," stated one protester.
Entire communities have been eradicated, while extensive damage to transport links and public works has also isolated numerous people. Victims have reported illness and hunger.
"How much longer must we bathe in dirt and contaminated water," exclaimed another individual.
Regional authorities have contacted the international body for assistance, with the provincial leader announcing he welcomes support "without conditions".
Prabowo's administration has stated recovery work are in progress on a "large scale", noting that it has allocated about billions (billions of dollars) for reconstruction efforts.
For many in Aceh, the plight recalls difficult recollections of the 2004 Indian Ocean tsunami, among the worst natural disasters in history.
A magnitude 9.1 ocean seismic event caused a tidal wave that created waves up to 30m in height which slammed into the Indian Ocean coastline that day, taking an approximate a quarter of a million people in in excess of a score countries.
Aceh, already affected by a long-running civil war, was one of the worst-impacted. Survivors state they had only recently finished rebuilding their homes when disaster hit once more in last November.
Assistance was delivered more quickly after the 2004 tsunami, although it was much more devastating, they argue.
Various nations, multilateral agencies like the International Monetary Fund, and private organisations poured significant resources into the rebuilding process. The Indonesian government then created a specific office to coordinate finances and reconstruction work.
"All parties took action and the people bounced back {quickly|
A tech journalist and digital strategist with over a decade of experience covering AI, cybersecurity, and startup ecosystems across Europe.